CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

13 Facts About Lobsters


  • they have less calories and saturated fat than chicken or turkey
  • they swim backwards
  • they can regenerate legs, claws, and antennae
  • their blood is clear and turns opaque white when cooked
  • they shed their shells to grow (molt) 4-5 times per year until they have reached full size
  • they can be right or left handed - depending on which side the crusher claw is on
  • they are different colors - blue-green, yellow, white, orange and red
  • they all turn red when cooked (except the white ones) because their pigment is masked except for the underlying red color
  • The most plentiful and most popular size of lobster are ones 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb. each
  • warming water will put a lobster to sleep
  • steam escapes from the shell as the lobster cooks and makes a little screaming noise
  • if you find a clump of little red balls in the lobster's tail, they are the female's immature eggs (called coral)
  • of the 10,000 eggs that a female releases at once, less than 1% will survive

12 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, Loved the picture but had no idea all of these things about lobsters. It was fascinating.

Lori said...

We are going to Lobsterfest at San Pedro in September. I cant wait. Great list. Happy TT.

storyteller said...

What a CUTE photo!!! Did you make that costume? I enjoyed learning new things about lobsters. All I really knew about them is they TASTE wonderful!
Hugs and blessings,

Juliana RW said...

very cute photo...i don't like lobsters...

Visit my T13 too : 13 things that happened...... Thanks

Robin said...

That white stuff is congealed blood? I wish I didn't know that, now I'm going to have to eat with my eyes closed!

Lisa Knight said...

The photo is the best! Lobster is yummy, maybe for my birthday I'll get some!

The Frugal Momma

Jen said...

I'm not a fan of lobsters--or any seafood, for that matter--but I do love watching them in their tanks. Very interesting list!

PamelaMKramer said...

The list is great but the baby OMG! Too cute. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

SandyCarlson said...

Lobsters are interesting creatures. It amazes me they continue as a species at all given the survival rates.

Anonymous said...

very interesting list... but if lobsters are as cute as that picture you have at the top, then i would hesitate to cook 'em up for dinner ;) happy TT!

Qtpies7 said...

What a cute picture!
My last step-father is a commercial fisherman. That is the only thing I miss about him, though. Free Seafood!

~RaenWa~ said...

That picture is too cute great list didn't know half the things on that lasy Nappy TT