CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

13 Interesting Facts About Moose


  • The moose is the official state animal of Maine.
  • There are about 25,000 moose in Maine - most are found in the northern part of the state.
  • They live 15-25 years.
  • A male can weigh up to 1500 pounds.
  • They have very poor eyesight, but their hearing and smell are excellent.
  • The flap of skin that hangs beneath the throat is called a Bell.
  • A male's antlers can weigh up to 40 pounds.
  • He sheds his antlers every Winter and regrows them in the Spring.
  • Most of their food comes from aquatic and marsh plants such as horsetails and pond weed. (when the water isn't frozen)
  • In the winter, they eat tree bark, leaves, twigs, balsam fir, white birch, and young aspen.
  • They can run up to 35 mph.
  • During the winter, moose are drawn to the sodium spread on the roads.
  • Causes of death to Maine moose are: hunting, collisions with cars, parasites, malnutrition due to gum disease, and black bears.

15 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

That's a great list. I love these guys.

Shannon said...

Great! I seen my first moose when I went to Canada last year...okay it was stuffed, but that's okay! ;)

Jenny McB said...

I love your template!
By the way, when you kind of hit a moose by hitting his butt with your side mirror...there can still be enough damage done to warrant a whole new side to a minivan.

Yep, I kind of hit one outside of Concord NH on a road that I have to travel every day. Their legs are huge. After reading their diet, I can see why he was where he was...the road is by a marsh/pond.
Thank you for stopping by!

Michelle said...

What an amazing animal. I had no idea that they can weigh up to 1500 pounds. Wow! Great TT!

Jan Parrish said...

Oh, I'd hate to run into one of those on the road. My car wouldn't like it either.

Carol said...

Very cool trivia here!

Fun 13!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

One of my good friends in Alaska often has moose in her yard, and also baby moose. Until the bears move in...

Happy TT!

Jody W.

She Became a Butterfly said...

off topic, my dog's name is Maisie. I named her after a character in the musical The Boyfriend. And no, I'm not suggesting you're a dog! hehe. My friend has a dog with my name.

she
http://www.shebecameabutterfly.net

Unknown said...

I didn't know half of this stuff, thanks for posting it

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful creatures! I learned something today. Thank you!

Pretty Life Online said...

Cool entry for TT! Mine's up too hope you can drop by... Happy TT!

Tricia said...

Cool list! I love moose, and when I used to spend summers in northern Vermont saw lots of them. I sure do miss those days

Jim said...

Hi Maisie -- Thanks for your visit to my WW while I was gone (to Colorado). I posted it from Nebraska last Sunday and post-dated it.
To see what I was doing in Nebraska, go to this link:
http://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-about-driving-900-miles-to-meet.html

I like Maine, I have visited it several times. My relatives came to Nebraska from just a little west of Belfast.
..

Anonymous said...

Great list. My brother has some intereting pictures of moose from when he lived in Alaska.

bernie said...

Thanks for stopping by. I forgot to mention that I've never seen a moose except in a zoo or animal park.